Monday, June 11, 2007

Finding Good Health News

A few people have asked me where are the best sources for reliable health news. While my first glib response would be “my blog, of course,” I do realize that I don’t have what one would call comprehensive news coverage.

What I do, when I’m writing my blog for the day, is I find some stories that I find particularly interesting that I think may interest other people as well. I find a lot of things interesting that I’m pretty sure many of you would not, so I try to contain my excitement over certain newsbits.

I like Health Behavior News Service, which I have to admit I write for. But they have a great daily news email that covers interesting topics. The site itself has studies written by its contributing writers, but the daily email is a list of popular news that has come out recently. Today’s, for example, had links to a story on lifestyle changes for obese women with breast cancer, women’s midlife weight and its connection to diabetes later on in life, and drugs for people with Alzheimers.

I also go to ctv.ca, a Canadian television network, and cbc.ca, the Canadian broadcasting company. If I feel like looking further, I’ll go to Eurekalert or PR Newswire, and sometimes to my old work place of The Doctor’s Guide to the Internet. When I worked for them, one of my tasks was to scour the newswires for interesting news, so that was a fun part of the job.

Even sites like Yahoo or MSN can have good news pieces, just check to see where the links are originally from. Google is a good source too, I just click on the news section.

Other than HBNS, I don’t get any daily news emails. I find that I don’t read them most of the time and that I prefer to go out searching for them.

News for today:
New tests predict Alzheimer's victims

Health group says more hand washing in hospitals will save thousands of lives

CDC Updates Tools to Help Physicians Recognize and Manage Concussions Early

No comments: