Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Acupuncture, finding a qualified practioner?

Acupuncture is a field that interests me. I have a few chronic painful issues that would greatly benefit from acupuncture, but I have no way of knowing how to go about finding a trustworthy and competent acupuncturist. I mention this because of a new study that reviewed acupuncture for back pain, one of the issues I do have.

I know all the standard ways to find someone, but to me, an acupuncturist isn’t someone you pick out of the Yellow Pages (oops, will we have to change that expression, will our kids even know what the Yellow Pages are?) If I went to one, he or she would have to come recommended by someone I know who has had experience with the acupuncturist.

I think alternative or complementary medicine can play a significant role in health care. I do have a bit of an issue with chiropractics though. I know that many people swear by them and that’s fine – for you. I don’t trust it. I went to have my back adjusted and I do feel that chiropractors can do that and do it well. But then the chiro started talking about how he could heal my asthma and no, I’m sorry, I don’t believe that. Treat my back, yes. Treat my respiratory illness – no.

So, have you ever gone or do you go to an acupuncturist? How did you find him or her? As I said, I really would love to give it a try.


News for Today:
Acupuncture more effective than conventional treatments for back pain: study
MR spectroscopy identifies breast cancer, reduces biopsies
Vitamin D intake should stay the same for now: Health Canada
Too much sleep as dangerous as too little: study
Black patients with asthma may fare worse regardless of disease severity
New study likely to fuel debate over annual physical exams
Hormone therapy in early post-menopause has no effect on memory

No comments: