Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Have you had acupuncture?

(don't believe the date that's showing - it is January 30!)

I went for my first ever acupuncture appointment yesterday. I've been wanting to do it for a while, but I was worried about finding a qualified person who would know what he or she was doing - not someone who was setting up shop just for the heck of it.

I didn't know this, but acupuncture is a 3-year diploma program here in Quebec. The acupuncturist was a lovely young woman with a great manner. Although I have a laundry list of things I'd like to take care of, I had one primary goal: to get rid of a stress-related itch behind my left shoulder.

It started 9 years ago when I went through one of the most stressful times of my life. I began experiencing a horrendous, unbearable itch behind my left shoulder. It comes and goes now, it's so incredibly intense that if it starts at night, it wakes me. To me, it's worse than pain.

I wasn't expecting miracles, but I also went in expecting this to work. I am a believer in Chinese medicine. I believe there has to be something to it because their culture has been around a lot longer than mine.

I'm pleased to report that the itching has really gone down. I get the odd spurt, but I didn't expect to be cured after just one treatment. I go back next week and I'm glad to. I actually found it very relaxing.

News for Today:

Carbon monoxide may cause long-lasting heart damage

Physician characteristics are associated with quality of cancer care

Hand gel not enough to curb hospital infections: study

Health Canada reviewing safety of Botox

Tiny brain vacuum gives hope to stroke victims

No comments: