Monday, June 2, 2008

Odds and ends

I'm still in Winnipeg - seems like a nice city but because of the weather, I didn't see a whole lot of it. In fact, I'm sorry to say, I didn't see much at all. I'm heading back to Montreal this morning so that chance is lost. I'll have to come back for a real visit.

One interesting thing I learned was during a presentation here on Friday night. I learned about the Canadian Museum for Human Rights that will be built here in Winnipeg. I encourage you to check it out, whether you are Canadian or from anywhere in the world.

It was only fitting that we learn about this because the PWAC (Professional Writers Association of Canada) theme was Human Rights - Human Writing. As writers, we can make such a difference in this world. I don't think that many of us realize the power our words can have.

Some people reading my blog, I know, want to be writers. They dream of being writers. If that's what you want to do, I encourage you to stop waiting for people to say you can do it, but to go ahead and do it.

Those of us who can read and write in whichever language we're most comfortable are among the most privileged. I cannot even imagine what it must be like to not be able to communicate by the written word. I'm honoured to be able to do it and I'm honoured that I have been able to make this my life.

Today on Help My Hurt:

Company’s calling - a different type of visitor

2 sources for dealing with pain at end of life
Interstitial cystitis may be connected to autoimmune disorders
2 types of shoes that cause foot pain
Breast reduction surgery to help back pain
10 things people do when they have pain

Today on Womb Within:

Prevent drownings (plus a DVD give-away)
Guest post: Baby-friendly baby showers
Last installment: What is a doula?
Weekly celebrity pregnancy round-up
Pregnancy over age 35
New test: can identify baby’s sex as early as 8 weeks’ gestation
Your baby is growing - months 4 and 5
Emergency! What to do if a pregnant woman chokes

News for Today:

Testosterone gene could offer men competitive edge in sports: study
Old-school asthma inhalers to be phased out in U.S.: FDA

Smoothies and juice may do more harm than good

For People With Down Syndrome, Longer Life Has Complications

6 natural cures that actually work

Playing golf may increase life span


No comments: