Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday Relaxation - A Long Weekend

I know the title of this blog post may confuse my US readers. That's because I'm in Canada and this is our May long weekend.
I know yours is next week. ;-)

 Victoria Day is the third Monday in May and it's the unofficial start of summer here. This is when it's generally safe again to plant your garden, it's when people go out to open their cottages, and many barbecues are pulled out from storage to start another year of grilling.



In Quebec, it's also the sign that there is less than a month of school left and then real summer begins.

Since we've moved out of our house and into an upper flat/condo, we don't have those rituals any more. I can't say that I miss most of them. Although I loved my garden, I'm not a gardener.

We don't have a cottage and when we had the house, we left our barbecue out all year around because it wasn't unheard of me to trek out in the snow to grill something if I was in the mood for it.

Having said all that, the long weekend has lost a bit of its meaning to me. My children are long out of the school system, although they are in various stages of undergrad and post-graduate studies; I don't even have that any more.

So, maybe it's time I start some new traditions to mark the unofficial beginning of summer. Perhaps something - dare I say it - quilt related!

A new May quilt, every year. A new design, a new technique - something I've not tried before. I think that sounds like a good plan.

The photos I've sprinkled throughout this post are of something I learned earlier this year: fabric postcards. They are so much fun to make and I had a blast.

You can actually mail them through the postal service. I did and they arrived in one piece. You just have to be sure to get them hand-stamped at the postal counter.

I still have a list of people I want to send some to. I hope you enjoyed looking at them as I did making them.

No comments: